Non-Surgical Treatment Options
Making Life Better Without Surgery
At North Dallas Urogynecology, we understand that though our patients want relief from their symptoms, they also may want to avoid surgical procedures when possible. There is good news for women who suffer from incontinence and prolapse. Many effective non-surgical treatment methods exist including:
- Kegel Exercises - Commonly known as pelvic floor exercises, Kegels are very effective for strengthening the muscles that support your pelvic organs to relieve urinary and fecal incontinence.
- Pessary - Very similar to a diaphragm and fitted by the doctor, this removable device is worn in the vagina to support the bladder, rectum, or uterus as necessary and to relieve the symptoms of prolapse and stress urinary incontinence.
- Bladder Training - An excellent option for urge incontinence and overactive bladder, bladder training involves the patient urinating on a specified schedule and learning to use the pelvic muscles to suppress symptoms. As bladder control improves, the time between scheduled restroom breaks increases.
- Bladder Diet - There is an extensive list of foods and beverages known to irritate the bladder. The bladder diet entails identifying these foods to help alleviate symptoms such as urinary frequency, urgency, and incontinence.
- Medications - Several prescription medications are available to relieve the symptoms of overactive bladder and urinary incontinence.
After a thorough evaluation, we’ll determine the cause of your symptoms and provide you with a treatment plan that includes one or more of the above non-surgical therapies. In most cases, our patients are able to avoid surgical options and maintain a healthy, active life.
Dr. Nguyen understands the sensitive nature of female pelvic disorders. Don’t let incontinence, prolapse, UTIs, or pelvic pain control your life when you have options for relief. Contact North Dallas Urogynecology and schedule an appointment today.
Dr. Nguyen provides quality care to patients in Dallas, Frisco, Plano, McKinney, Allen, Denton and surrounding areas. Call our office today to schedule your appointment.